Friday, September 23, 2011

Pork and Apple Casserole .


Ingredients
500g diced pork
1 onion, sliced
1 Braeburn apple, peeled and sliced
420g can Wattie's Condensed Tomato Soup with Diced Tomatoes
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup chicken stock or water
1 sprig sage

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat a dash of oil in a flameproof casserole dish. Add the diced pork pieces and brown over high heat. Remove from dish and set aside.
Add the sliced onions and continue cooking until they start to soften. Add the apple slices and cook a further minute. Return the pork to the pan.
Stir in Wattie’s Condensed Tomato Soup with Diced Tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and stock. Bring to the boil. Add sage. Cover, transfer to oven and cook for 1 hour or until meat is tender.

This a recipe on one of those tear off cards you can get from the supermarket.
It is a Food in a Minute recipe and found on the website.

So I said I wasn’t going to change the recipes? well once again I did.
I didn’t have any Condensed Tomato Soup with Diced Tomatoes so I used a tin of Home Brand diced tomatoes and a tablespoon of tomato paste.
I didn’t have a ‘flameproof casserole dish’ either so I cooked it in a large frying pan and then poured it into my casserole dish and baked it in the oven for just over an hour.
I made sure all the pre-diced pork pieces I had bought were about the same size.
It didn’t say how to slice that apple (‘what?’! you say) I mean I cut it in half, took the core out and then cut it into slices about 4 millimetres thick. I don’t have readymade stock so I used ½ teaspoon of dry chicken stock powder in half a cup of water.
I also didn’t have fresh sage (I must get my herb garden sorted) so I used a half a teaspoon of dried.

Katrina and I liked this and there was enough left over to use with a bit of cream added as a sauce over penne pasta for another meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment