Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Florentine Squares


¾ cup sultanas
4 crushed Weet-Bix
¾ cup raw peanuts
½ cup chopped cherries
½ x 395gr tin of sweetened condensed milk
½ cup chopped dates

Combine sultanas, Weet-Bix, peanuts, cherries, condensed milk and shopped dates.
Mix well.
Grease and line 23cm square tin.
Bake 180°C 20-25 minutes. 
Cut into squares before cold.
Lift out when cold.
May be dribbles with melted carob

Makes 16 squares.

Another great recipe of mixing it all in the one bowl.
It’s off an old Sanitarian Weet-Bix box but I couldn’t find it on their website so it’s quite old.
I measured out the condensed milk first then added the other ingredients as listed giving it all a good stir with each addition.
I pressed it into my tin and baked for 20 minutes.
Remember to cut it while its warm as it is easier while still a little soft.
It sets hard when it is cold.
I didn’t have any carob so made up a little runny icing (about two tablespoons) with just cocoa and icing sugar and dribbled it over the slice in a diagonal while it was still in the tin.

I love this and it will become a Christmas treat for us I think. It’s quite healthy with all the dried fruit and nuts too.

2 comments:

  1. That is a really lovely dish you have the dessert on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had it for years. It is a Fine China Westminster Australia 1626 dish called Old English Rose.
    It was a gift my grandmother gave me before I married and I collected things like this for my glory box.

    ReplyDelete