Saturday, September 17, 2011

Fizzing Sherbet

Fizzing Sherbet powder is a very popular novelty for children. Lick it off a spoon, or off the end of a straw or licorice tube.

1 cup icing sugar
1 tsp Hansells Baking Soda
1 tsp Hansells Citric Acid
1 tsp Hansells Tartaric Acid
2 tbsps Hansells Vitafresh drink powder, any flavour

Grind citric and tartaric acid to a fine powder using a mortar and pestle of with the back of a spoon.
Place all ingredients in a plastic bag and shake well to mix.
Store in an airtight jar.

I used to be able to buy my baking soda in a box, but now it comes in a large plastic container.  At some stage over the years I have kept one of the boxes and although it has mainly hints etc, there is a recipe for sherbet on it.

My son has made sherbet over the years but I never have.

So I ground the two acids in my mortar and pestle and then added all the other ingredients to a bowl and mixed it all up.

Well that was simple!

I then made up a little white paper bag of some of the mixture with a lollypop, just like I used to buy from the dairy when I was young. Yeah I know...many moons ago.

I gave it to Katrina as a surprise to try, who then informs me she doesn't like sherbet.

Oh well, it tasted fine to me so I will give the made up bag to Daniel next time I see him and keep the rest in the screw top jar for when I well a little need for some fizzing treat.

Footnote: I will also, at some stage, start a second page on this blog with all the hints I have collected that I am finding in amongst the recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment