Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Toasted Muesli

The second recipe on an empty packet of Harraways Rolled Oats.

Toasted Muesli

400g Harraways Rolled Oats.
100g mixed nuts
40g mixed seeds (linseed, sunflower and sesame)
150ml water or low fat milk
100ml Tick approved oil
½ teaspoon vanilla essence.

Combine all dry ingredients in a large shallow roasting pan. Mix wet ingredients together and pour over dry ingredients. Bake at 190°C for 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally until crisp and golden. Add dried fruit as desired. Leave to cool and store in air tight container.

Hmm measuring ingredient’s by weight. My muesli calls for just a cup or two of this and that so I cleared off the scales.
Mixed nuts. I knew I had an assortment of nuts, but the ones I thought I had had gone, (pecan, Brazil) so I just used about 50gr each of peanuts and walnuts.
I didn’t have any linseed seeds so I used about 20gr of sunflower, 10gr of sesame and 10gr of pumpkin seeds.

Now the thought of using milk just didn’t appeal. I mean wouldn’t it go off quicker? So I used hot water and olive oil for the oil.

I thought that mixing that amount of liquid into the dry ingredients would create a sloppy mess but it really only moistened it as the oats seemed to soak it up. I think the oil helped to separate it and have it not stick to the pan. The more I progressed with the recipe the more I was beginning to like it.

I probably stirred the mixture about 4 times all up and cooked it for the 30 minutes. (not counting the time I had it out of the oven for stirring) I found using a fish slice easy to turn it and dislodge any parts that stuck to the pan. The walnuts turned a lovely golden colour.

While it was cooling I tried a small mouthful and thought it tasted strongly of olive oil which I know is good for you but I’m not a great fan of.

I just used about 100gr of sultanas for my dried fruit and added it once it was cold and I was putting it into my Tupperware muesli container.

This morning I had it with sliced banana and some low fat milk. The olive oil taste wasn’t as strong and it had a nice nutty/seed flavour. It was quite filling too. I will make it again and maybe try it with canola oil and dried apricots. It made about 5 cups of muesli, which means it won’t last long but when I mark it again I will double the recipe.

1 comment:

  1. While visiting Rachel I discovered that she is indeed a muesli maker and in Vancouver she buys a mixture of goodies to add to her batch which included dried papaya and yoghurt coated raisins - pretty yummy - needless to saythe males in her apartment are not supposed to go fishing for the goodies when they have breakfast!

    ReplyDelete