Tuesday, September 13, 2011

ANZAC Biscuits

I started today with an empty packet of Harraways Rolled Oats.

ANZAC Biscuits

In a bowl mix dry ingredients
2 cups Harraways Rolled Oats
½ cup sugar
½ cup coconut
½ cup flour
Melt together 125g Tick approved margarine
2 tablespoons golden syrup
Mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with 2 tablespoons boiling water.
Add this to melted margarine then pour into dry ingredients.
Mix well.
Place spoonfuls on a greased tray.
Bake 180°C (or 160°C fan bake) for 15 minutes.
Cool and store in air tight containers

I put on my apron, turned the oven on, put the jug on (you never know when you are going to need hot water or at least a cup of coffee) and got a baking tray lined with baking paper. It’s always good to have what you are going to bake your item on/in prepared before you start.

Right; first of all you need a big bowl cos when you add the liquids to the dry ingredients there is a major science experiment going on. I was under the impression last time I looked that I had a tub of tick approved margarine (Olivani) but I don’t use it now and it’s been used by the other members of this family so there was hardly any left. Never mind there is some in the freezer.
Nope. That’s been used up too.
In fact there is no margarine in the house, how come no-one has told me. Oh that’s right no-one doesn’t do anything useful.

Well I had about 30 grams of margarine and topped it up with butter.

All went well until you mix the baking soda mix with the melted butter mix. I forgot – major volcano; just as well it was in a large jug.
I quickly poured it over the dry ingredients and mixed it all in.

The recipe says “place spoonfuls on a greased tray”. Now I have been cooking for a long time so I know what sort of size I like my biscuits but what about the people who haven’t – I mean what size spoon? I however rolled into balls about a dessertspoon of mixture.

Do they just sit on the tray or do we flatten them?
The recipe didn’t say so I left them. I am trying to do exactly what the recipe says!

Well into a 180°C oven for 15 minutes.
I am busy getting things ready for the other recipe and I suddenly think “Opps when did I put them in the oven?”
A quick check and they look about half cooked.
The phone rings and a good friend wants to know an address and to check how things are with me.
Opps again I have to ask her to wait a minute while I get the biscuits out as ANZAC biscuits can burn quickly (It’s the baking soda that does that)

I cool them on the tray (it doesn’t say to transfer to a wire rack which I normally do), and then sample.

And the verdict – I have a different recipe that is nicer. There is a slight baking soda taste, and not very sweet, which probably means they are good for you!

I’m not keeping this recipe
Verdict in from Katrina, she likes them, so maybe its here on the blog if she wants to make them.

No comments:

Post a Comment