Saturday, November 12, 2011

Vi-Bran Muffins




140g (5 oz/1large cup) Flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
115g (4oz 1. 5 cups) Vi Bran
55g (2oz 1/4 cup) sugar
1 egg
1 level tsp soda
225g (8oz) milk
1 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp butter

Sift flour, baking powder and salt.
Add Vi-Bran and sugar.
Beat egg well, add soda dissolved in milk, then butter and golden syrup, warmed together.
Stir liquid quickly into the dry ingredients until the flour is just dampened.
Put in cold, greased patty tins.
Bake at 220 deg C for 12-15 minutes.
For variety, raisins may be added.

This is a very old recipe off the back of an Elfin Vi-Bran packet. You can use any baking bran.

I followed the recipe to the instructions beating the egg, adding the soda and milk. I heated the butter and golden syrup and mixed that in to the eggy mixture, before turning it all into the dry ingredients and gently folding it all together. I used a cup of sultanas as a 'variety' and had tossed them in the dry ingredients first. I actually found I only made 11 muffins as there wasn't enough mixture to go around my 12 medium sized muffin tin.
I cooked them for about 14 minutes and that may have been a bit long.

They are a nice bran flavour but are best eaten warm and with a bit of spread - I used butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment